Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sending Kids to College


This time of year always takes me back in time as I recall the overwhelming process of preparing my children for college.

Preparing your children for college is an emotional experience to say the least and preparing your bank account is overwhelming. There are applications, and I shudder at the memories of my children picking an average of ten schools to send these to. The paper work, the fear of letting your children go…it is a bigger experience then most of us realize.

The biggest stress I faced, as do many of my clients is the financial aid process. Many of you may feel as I did; Where do I turn, what is available, how do I access aid? For me, I found it difficult to contact the financial aid offices for ten schools. It seemed like an impossible task.

For most of us and as I did, we turn to the High School Counselor. Although our Counselor is amazing and I loved him, he was simply not familiar with the financial aid process. Sound familiar? If so, stick with me, because I learned so much.

The biggest lesson I learned as I walked this Financial Aid Journey was this; There appears to be a great disconnect between colleges and high schools regarding the financial aid process. The information is incongruent and the many dollars out there for parents to access, seem impossible to find, but yet simple to do when you are guided appropriately.

What I longed for was to find an expert in the field who could guide me. Seeing that many parents felt the same way. I decided I would educate myself and become this person to many.

I enrolled in courses at UCLA and studied financial aid. My professor was the financial aid director of Occidental College and an amazing mentor I introduced myself, we had coffee and I told her of my goals to assist, educate and advocate for families who are uncomfortable with the Financial Aid Process. My experience working with my professor was amazing. As the director of Finacial Aide, she took me in, under her wing and I worked side by side with her in the financial aid office at Occidental for 2 years. She taught me everything she knew.

Do you feel overwhelmed by the Financial Aide Process? Are you afraid you simply do not have the money to help your child pursue the college dream? Are you looking for support and direction? That is what I do. I help families find the financial aid support needed. I have developed systems and processes to streamline the clutter of the process and am able to assist you to clearly determine your need. In working with me you will release the stress and clutter of the paperwork and questions allowing you to spend the last years your child is in high school actually appreciating time with them before they go to college

Many families have different unique situations and call me their “go to girl”. I love what I do and enjoy meeting many amazing families with amazing children, who now have the opportunity to follow their dreams and open doors that may never have been unlocked.

If you are sending your child off to college…let’s get together and talk about the process I have been where you are, I know how you feel and I know what you need and how to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment